Paul Lauritz (1889-1975)
Born in the small art colony of Larvik, Norway on April 18, 1889, Lauritz was exposed to art at an early age, studying with local and foreign artists in Larvik. At age 16 he moved to eastern Canada. Working his way west, he worked as a commercial artist in Vancouver and Portland, Oregon, where he began painting landscapes and portraits. The meager existence in commercial art work led him to Alaska with the Gold Rush. Unsuccessful as a miner, he returned to painting and became a close friend of artist Sydney Laurence. The two artists held a joint exhibition before Lauritz left Alaska.
In 1919 he settled in Los Angeles and established a studio-home in the Lyceum Theater on Spring Street. When not teaching at the Chouinard and Otis Institute or working in his studio, he made painting excursions to the Sierras, up the California coast as far north as Carmel, to Mexico, the Columbia River, and Norway. While in his native land, he was commissioned by the King of Norway to do a painting for the royal palace. Lauritz was an involved member of the Los Angeles art community and served for six years on the Los Angeles Municipal Art Commission. A versatile painter, his subjects include desert scenes, portraits, snow scenes, landscapes, and marines. He died at his home in Los Angeles on October 31, 1975.
Member: Laguna Beach Art Association; California Art Club; Painters and Sculptors of Los Angeles; Royal Society of Artists, England; Society of Western Artists; Southwest Art Association.
Exhibited: Los Angeles County Museum of History, Science and Art, 1920, 1932; California State Fair, 1930; Oakland Art Gallery, 1932; Stendahl and Wilshire Galleries, Los Angeles; Golden Gate International Exposition, 1939.
Works Held: Hollywood Athletic Club; Laguna Art Museum; Pasadena Art Institute; Santa Cruz Art Gallery; Springville Museum of Art, Utah; University of California Los Angeles; University of Chicago; Ebell Club, Los Angeles; Santa Paula Chamber of Commerce; San Diego Museum.
Source: Artists in California: 1786-1940, Edan Hughes
Oil on canvas, 46 x 51 inches On loan from private collection
c. 1930 Oil on canvas, 20 x 25 inches